Building Name: Mary K. Tibbits Hall
Tibbits Hall.jpg
Main entrance to Tibbits Hall, [197-?]. PR; Series 1; Sub-series 2; Item 5271.


Other Names: Tibbits House, Tibbits, DKT (Dunn-Kidd-Tibbits)

Civic Address: 40 Mackay Dr.

Sod Turning: [ca. 1969]

Cornerstone Laying: [ca. 1970]

Opened for Use: September 1970

Official Opening: 1970; 25 October 1998 (re-dedication)

Architect: Larson and Larson

Named for: Mary Kingsley Tibbits (BA, MA, LL.D.), the first woman to graduate from UNB in 1889.

Renovations/changes/additions: Lady Dunn Hall was joined to Tibbits Hall when the residence complex was reconfigured in 1998, with the co-ed Joy Kidd House now in the former Lady Dunn Hall building, and Dunn Hall becoming a smaller residence for women behind Kidd House. A portrait of Mary Tibbits unveiled on 17 October 1986 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of her enrollment at UNB.

Plaque Inscription: Mary Kingsley Tibbits Hall Named in memory of the first woman to graduate from the University of New Brunswick. Tutored by Bliss Carmen, she entered in 1886, graduated in 1889, and received that year the Governor-General's Medal for proficiency in her studies. Later fittingly honoured with the M.A. in 1914, and the LL. D. in 1939, both honoris causa, she pursued with distinction throughout life her vocation as teacher and kind mentor to generations of youth who came under her care.

Notes: Tibbits Hall was built as an addition to Lady Dunn Hall and contains both single and double rooms. It is a women's residence.

Source(s):
  • UA Case 122; Section 3; Tibbits Hall.
  • Plaque Inscription: PR 4783.

© UNB Archives & Special Collections, 2012

Print this page